Friday, September 9, 2011

Allay Yoga Welcomes Modern Day Yogini Brittany Boden


And Here We Go...
“Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace and gratitude.” ~Denis Waitley
Little bit about me.  Well it’s going to be a decent bit so bare with me.  It will circle back around.  I promise.
As my first official blog post, beyond my intentions, I feel that I have to explain how I got to where I am.  Why I’m writing to you.  My story.  It helps to explain my intentions, purpose, dharma.
Although I am young in trips around the sun I have been told many times that I’m wise beyond my years.  Deep trips around the sun.  But all relevant and important because it helped to shape who I am at this very moment and where I might be headed.
The decisions we make at a young age often have deep consequences due to the number of years ahead they impact.  We are faced with small decisions every moment of our lives.  As our perspective changes we begin to see and make the small decisions differently.  Hopefully always leaning towards the positive evolution.
At the age of 3, I made a decision.  To become a doctor.  I don’t remember making the decision but my parents told me I did.  Be the first in my family to go to medical school.  Save the world.  Cure cancer.
I spent the next 18 years of my life thinking, dreaming, working towards, believing that I was going to become a physician.  And then something happened.
I backpacked through Europe the summer before my senior year of college and I changed.
A summer of freedom and mischief sent me back to the university with a changed sense of purpose.  So in typical Brittany fashion I went full force into becoming a Doctor of Physical Therapy.  I graduated from college and then wanted to become a Nurse.  Elementary School Teacher.  Chiropractor.  Back to Nursing.  Then Masters of Public Health, Health Administration.  Back to Physician.  Back around.
Welp.  Those didn’t work.  But I kept looking.  And working.  And looking.
And then something happened.
I got sick.  Really really sick.  It had been a stressful year.  Life was POURING on this baby girl.  I hadn’t been taking care of myself.  Poor diet, little movement, Christmas cookies, too much partying and booze, not enough sleep, stress.  It was just too much.
Heard of MRSA?  Yea.  Not fun.
But I skirted out.  Relatively unscathed.  Except for a nasty scare of the front of my deltoid.  When I catch people staring I tell them I got shot.  Wink.
Healing made me re-evaluate.  Everything.  As it should have.
So I started doing yoga again.  And my life began to change.
Thing is, not much was REALLY changing but my perspective was shifting, falling apart and rebuilding into something more inline with ME.
So I became a yoga teacher.  And made a yoga “baby.”  A 9-month plan to transition out of my 9-5 and teach yoga – live my dream.  It’s due October 1st, 2011.
During the second trimester, the idea of Modern Day Yogini came to be.
Yoga is my thing.  And so is health.  I am trying to live it.  And teach other people to live it.
I get weird illness, have strange injuries, and oddly enough I love to soak up medical information.  Unusual yes but it has proven useful for myself, friends and family.
So I thought – What better way to broadcast this information than through the ether??
And why not combine the two??
Both are ESSENTIAL for happiness, quality of life, balance.
So here we are.
To sum this up – deciding at the age of 3 to become a doctor led me to blogging about yoga, health, practicality, sunshine and love??  Right??  Well I had a few curves along the way but that seemingly unrelated decision set me up to dig deep and far into the health field.  Figure out what it’s about.  And then try to impact it.  I’ve always been a free spirit.  So this is my way.
Through yoga teaching.  Health coaching.  Practicality making.  Information nugget sharing.  Via the Google.  I hope to help you to live a happier, healthier, more balanced and purpose-driven life.
So much love,
Modern Day Yogini aka Brittany

About Brittany:
Brittany began practicing yoga as a way to supplement her other exercise regimes as an athlete.  Over the years she fell in and out of practice but was deeply drawn back to yoga after a string of illnesses in 2009.  Realizing that stress was the heart of the issue she got her duppa back into the studio and started practicing restorative and vinyasa style classes.
After witnessing profound changes in her own mind and body, Brittany became a teacher to deepen her understanding of the practice and thus share it with others.  Along with yoga, she is also very passionate about health and is in the process of becoming a Holistic Health Coach through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition.   Brittany recently began to blog as Modern Day Yogini – the tales of yoga teacher and health coach: a blend of yoga, health, practicality, sunshine and love.  Stop in for a class or visit her at Moderndayyogini.com.  Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment